M. Ayman Asfour, MD
Pathology Residency Program Director
Transfusion Medicine Director
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39216
Tel: (601) 984-1532 Fax: (601) 984-1531
Program Director: M. Ayman Asfour, MD
Number of residents (per year / total): 2-3/12
Average work hours on surg path? 50 hrs/week
Are you allowed to do external rotations? Yes – Faculty are very supportive of residents in pursuing their goals and interests.
- Wide range of specimens and pathology (only academic medical center in the state)
- Energetic faculty who like to teach
- Relatively laid back atmosphere
- Good board pass rates
- In general, residents get good and competitive fellowships
- Approachable, friendly attendings, good resident-to-attending ratio
- Excellent new Chair, Janice Lage
- Attendings give ample slide preview time
- Research opportunities available, but not mandatory
Do you feel you have: Adequate preview time?
- Yes – encouraged to write up cases on our own
Adequate support staff (P.A.’s, secretarial, etc.)?
- Yes – We have a young energetic Masters degree level Pathologists' Assistant who actively grosses specimens and teaches residents
- Three MLT's gross most biopsies
- Grossing days are rarely >10 hours.
Adequate AP Teaching?
Adequate CP Teaching?
- 2 positions - junior attending curriculum
- 2 positions - ACGME accredited
- We have an opening in our cytopathology fellowship program for July 2014. If you know of any trainees who would be interested, please have them contact Dr. Israh Akhtar at firstname.lastname@example.org.