Here are some examples of questions you might want to ask at the job interview. (For a more in-depth guide to asking questions in a job interview click here.) Don't feel obligated to ask about all of these at the first interview. See what the mood is like and use your discretion.
- Anatomic Pathology: What types of specimens will I be signing out? (Everything? subspecialty only? Cytology? Paps? Hemepath? Will I need to perform FNAs?
- Clinical Pathology: What responsibilities? Is there CP call? Blood bank? Heme, chemistry, micro, etc.?
- What types of CP call questions/problems would I have to deal with?
- How often is the call?
- Is there someone I can call for backup help with during a call?
- How many cases per year will I be signing out?
- Is everyone signing out everything or are some areas subspecialty sign out?
- Are there autopsy responsibilities?
- Will I only be signing out in this hospital or will I be traveling to other hospitals/facilities?
- How far away are those other facilities?
- Frozen section responsibilities? How often? Resident cutting vs. me cutting?
- Any grossing responsibilities?
- What are my teaching responsibilities? Will I give lectures to residents? Medical students?
- What is expected of me in terms of research? Do they offer funding for research?
- What computer system do they use for pathology? (Cerner, CoPath, etc.)
- Do I dictate my cases and someone transcribes vs. type in yourself vs. voice recognition system, etc?
- What's the electronic medical record like for looking up patient histories? cumbersome?
- Are cases only from the inpatient hospital or from outpatient settings as well?
- Do people show each other cases often? informally vs. a formal process?
- What's the workflow like? (are you on bigs or small for a week, vs doing everything everyday?)
- Is there a consensus conference?
- Do they send out difficult/controversial cases to another institution? If so, which one?
- How many faculty are new versus senior?
- What is the faculty turnover like? (are people often leaving?)
- What are the average hours like? What time do people come in and leave?
- How many days off service per year?
- How many administrative days per year?
- Is there a book/educational/CME fund?
- How many conferences can I go to per year?
- How many weeks vacation time?
- Health insurance? Dental? Vision?
- Retirement plan?
- Life insurance?
- Moving stipend?
- If applicable: Is there a partnership track? How long until I'm able to make partner? Is there a buy in process?
- What's the cost of living like here?
- Where do most people live?
- What are the schools districts like?